Monday, May 20, 2013

Day 233 Silhouettes


Matagalpa is a city with an abundance of women's collectives, cooperatives, groups, and centers. One of the hot spots is the Centro Cultural Guanuca. Just a few blocks from my house, they offer films every Friday and some assortment of music, theater or conversations on Saturdays.


This past Saturday Guanuca hosted a group Guatemalan Lesbian Feminists, the Silhouettes Collective. In the hour and a half that they dominated the stage these four women explored everything from, what it means to be lesbian in Guatemala, to what it means to be feminist in a macho society to the difference between being lonely and alone. It was breathtaking, exhausting, enthralling and entertaining. Going into it I didn't know what to expect but I managed my expectations, I was blown away. At times hart wrenching at times funny these women really got at the heart of the issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment