The amazing treats.
If you want to experience some of the wonderfulness here is the recipe for the cake. It is an adaptation of the Chocolate Zucchini Cupcake recipe in the Ranco Mastatal cook book, a sister permaculture site down in Costa Rica http://ranchomastatal.com/pages/links/page.php?Grouping=Home&PageName=home.
Chocolate Beat Cake
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (tapa dulce)
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups beats, grated
2 cups unbleached flour
1 cup fresh ground coco beans (cacao powder)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat oven to 350'. Lightly grease the pan.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Sir in vanilla, buttermilk, beats and cacao.
- In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add all the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix until well combined.
- Spoon batter into pan. Bake 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Eat nice and hot, or the next morning for breakfast. (After all its good for you it has veggies in it!)
Our trusty cob oven in action.